Monday, July 28, 2008

Let them eat (hoe) cake!

Now for the REAL night of fun on the Savannah trip...a visit to Paula Deen's restaurant. Of course, I have to build the suspense with a little extra info. I was fortunate enough to be able to see "Lady and Sons" from my hotel room! We didn't get there to eat until Monday night (our 3rd night in town), so I had to look longingly at the restaurant for days before I actually got in there. Here's my view - it's the longer, darker tan building that's a little lower than the others:

Here's also a nice shot of the sign at night - yes, you know I had to get the neon all lit up!


Before the feasting began, we spent a few minutes in the gift shop...we got to see "Paula" for a photo opp and buy some souvenirs...among those, an autographed cookbook.


Stacy & Stacey especially liked the hoe cakes...yes, Stacy, they are called "HOE CAKES" not hoe pies (she's still having trouble remembering that!). For those of you who don't know, hoe cakes are cornbread-type pancakes that are served at Lady and Sons when you are seated. They are most yummy with a little maple syrup - mmmmm!


While our "picky eater" Stacy ordered a salad (what?!?!?), Stacey and I hit the buffet - and we hit it HARD!!! Fried chicken, mashed potatoes, greens, macaroni and cheese, green beans, black-eyed peas, roasted pork (you get the idea...). Here's a picture of ONE of my platefuls of food:


I was very happy to be eating there:


But VERY full when I finally made myself stop! (The gooey butter cake went back to the hotel in a "to go" box. I guess I should confess that I did eat the cake around 3:00 a.m.)

And, of course, we had to document the carnage of the evening...we left very little on most of our plates. The following morning, I actually had a food hangover. Yes, it CAN happen - it is possible to eat so much that you feel like you're slightly ill the next day and in need of a little "hair of the dog" (i.e. more food - ?) just to get your day started. In the end, even I know my limit...but I really did push that limit THAT night and I'm dieting like crazy now!!!


What a great time - and what great food! And for all you Paula fans out there, here's a little saying to remember...

What more is there to say????

No comments: